If you haven’t heard of the microgreens revolution, you’re in for a treat! They have been absolutely exploding onto the culinary scene in the past few years. These new forms of salad, soup, and garnish greens are showing up at all of the hottest restaurants in most major cities, along with local farmer’s markets.
Wait…What ARE Microgreens?
While the name sounds like it came straight out of the Monsanto agriculture labs, they’re actually a very simple product. Microgreens are plants that are sprouted and grown until their first set of true leaves, meaning the leaves that form after the cotyledons. Essentially they’re just normal greens harvested at a very young age. If you’ve seen those packages of baby spinach at the store, take a few weeks off of that harvest time and you can imagine what microspinach would look like.
Microgreens Are THE Best Urban Gardening Experiment
If you’re new to urban gardening, or you don’t have a lot of space in your cramped apartment or condo, then these delicious greens are going to be the easiest way to start working on that green thumb. You can grow an entire tray of microgreens, enough for 2-3 salads, in 14 days and 10″x20″ of space! If that doesn’t get you interested in growing
I’ve put together a comprehensive microgreens growing guide that will ensure that you succeed with your first crop. The posts below will take you through every step of growing your first tray of microgreens, all the way from preparing your tray to harvesting, cleaning and eating!
All Posts on Growing Microgreens
- Growing Kale: The Ultimate Guide To Growing Your Own Superfood
- Grow Wheatgrass Easily: Everything You Need To Know (2018 Update)
- How to Grow Pak Choi Microgreens Fast and Easy
- How to Grow Kale Microgreens Fast and Easy
- How to Grow Amaranth Microgreens Fast and Easy
- How to Grow Cress Microgreens Fast and Easy
- How to Grow Arugula Microgreens Fast and Easy
- Is It Smart To Grow Microgreens Without Soil?
- Microgreens Maintenance
- Building an Urban Farming Business: The Setup and Numbers
- Building an Microgreens Business – The Beginning
- Common Microgreen Problems
- How to Plant Microgreen Seeds
- Microgreens Guide: Gathering the Materials