- 1 Growing Systems
- 2 Garden Tools
- 3 Grow Lights
- 4 Seeds and Plants
- 5 Gift Cards
- 6 Gardening Books
- 6.1 Hydroponic Food Production: A Definitive Guidebook for the Advanced Home Gardener and the Commercial Hydroponic Grower
- 6.2 Hobby Hydroponics, Second Edition
- 6.3 Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together
- 6.4 How-To Hydroponics, Fourth Edition
- 6.5 The Green Thumbs Behind This Article:
It’s always so hard to find the best gifts for the people that we love, and being gardeners we usually get flack for being “hard to buy for.”
I know that in my own life, I simply don’t want that much stuff…but I’m always open to getting a gift that will help me learn, produce, or create something.
And when it comes to gardening, there’s always more to learn, more to create, and more to produce.
This is the official Epic Gardening gift guide for gardeners.
I’ve used almost every single one of these products, and the ones that I haven’t have come well-recommended from good friends or other reputable websites.
Back To The Roots Aquafarm
- Mini home ecosystem: the water garden is a self-cleaning...
- Great gift: This kit has been ranked among top holiday...
- Everything included: just pick out your new finned friend...
- Made in the USA & 100% Guaranteed to grow: all Back to the...
- Experience the magic of aquaponics: what began as...
The Aquafarm is one of the cooler products to come out in the gardening world in the last year or so. A completely self-sustainable aquaponic system, it’s designed to grow herbs, salad greens, and wheatgrass all powered by a beautiful betta fish in the tank below.
A great gift for the gardener / science geek hybrid who would love something beautiful to tinker with in the home.
Back To The Roots Mushroom Kit
- ORGANIC MUSHROOM GROWING KIT: Grow delicious, gourmet oyster...
- GREAT GIFT: This kit has been ranked among top Holiday...
- EVERYTHING INCLUDED: Simply mist your kit with water and...
- MADE IN THE USA & 100% GUARANTEED TO GROW: All Back to the...
- GROWS YEAR ROUND: The Organic Mushroom Growing Kit works...
I’ve personally used 4-5 of these kits to grow my own oyster mushrooms. Until I get an official mushroom growing operation going, I’ll be using and giving these out as gifts! Every time I buy one, I’ve grown amazingly delicious oyster mushrooms (they taste a bit like lobster if you cook them up in some butter).
This is a great gift for a gardener who wants to branch out to other types of food production – and doesn’t hate mushrooms!
- Garden year-round. Grow fresh herbs, vegetables, salad...
- Up to 6 plants can be grown at a time. Plants grow in...
- High-performance, full spectrum 20-watt LED lighting system...
- Easy-to-use control panel tells you when to add water,...
- Includes 6-Pod Gourmet Herb Seed Kit that contains: Genovese...
The AeroGarden was one of the first and most popular indoor hydroponic gardening systems, and it’s popular hasn’t waned at all. These days, they have upgraded their offerings and have a really neat LED system that is my pick for this holiday season.
It’s a 7-pod system that uses full-spectrum 30-watt LED lights to help your plants grow. I like LEDs for this system due to the fact you’re growing only greens in a system like this, and the low-energy and low heat output of LEDs are perfect for greens.
They also offer a 3-Pod system if you’re looking for a budget option that will still do the job for your garden lover.
Modern Sprout Planters
Originally a Kickstarter project, the Modern Sprout Planter was successfully funded and made it’s way into the market. Designed to be an absolutely beautiful tabletop hydroponic planter, it’s achieved all that it’s set out to do and comes in a variety of styles.
Our personal favorite is the solar-powered option for maximum sustainability.
If the Tower Garden was a car, it would be a Bugatti Veyron – the top of the line in all categories. I’ve done an extensive review of the Tower Garden on the Epic Gardening blog, so give that a peek if you haven’t yet.
This system is one that absolutely any gardener would love to add to their arsenal, and it produces larger greens and veggies at a faster rate than anything else I’ve ever tested.
Click & Grow Smart Herb Garden
- INDOOR GARDEN ALL YEAR LONG: Love gardening but your space...
- HASSLE FREE INSTALLATION & MAINTENANCE: Forget about messy...
- GROW ANY PLANTS YOU WANT: This smart indoor garden is...
- SMART SOIL TECHNOLOGY: The soil uses patented nano-tech...
- 100% REPLACEMENT WARRANTY: Since your satisfaction is our...
The Smart Herb Garden from ClickAndGrow is the first truly hands off indoor garden system I’ve ever seen. All you do is add a cartridge in for whatever plant you want to grow (herbs, greens, etc) and the system takes care of the rest – watering, feeding, and lighting.
While it’s not the most interactive gardening experience, it’s an amazing conversation starter and looks absolutely beautiful. Perfect for someone who wants fresh herbs year round without the all of the work they put into their normal garden!
Educational Insights Sprout & Grow Window
- Budding botanists will love studying plant growth from root...
- You can actually see roots growing! View what happens...
- Self-standing planter can be placed on a windowsill or...
- Includes bean and pea seed packets; enriched "Wonder Soil"...
Ever wondered what your root veggies look like while they’re growing? WONDER NO MORE. This kit is awesome for anyone that’s looking for an educational view on how their garden grows. I have one of these sitting on my windowsill and am watching radishes grow as we speak.
Haws Bosmere Watering Can
Although a watering can might seem like a dull gift, the Haws Bosmere watering can is top of the line. It’s perfectly well balanced, holds 5 liters of water, and allows a gardener to perfectly control the amount of water that is given to each plant in the garden.
Having tried a few other watering cans, I can say that the balance on this can is top of the line. Every other can I end up spilling some water or not being able to direct perfectly. It might be a small issue, but every drop of water counts these days.
ARS HP-VS8Z Pruning Shears
- Squeeze handles to open
- Superior, long-lasting sharpness from ARS
- Hard chrome plated for optimum protection against rust and...
- Ergonomic handles and offset blades for maximum comfort
- Replaceable blades
Sadly, gardeners prune and kill more plants than they actually grow, but that’s the price we pay for cultivating life! Sometimes you have to control it as well. These pruning shears are best in class and will last an absolute lifetime.
Wilcox Garden Trowel
- Works very well for deep bulb planting & breaking up...
- No fear of bending or breaking due to high quality Stainless...
- Stainless Steel. Made in the USA.
The Wilcox garden trowel is perfect for the gardener who gets down and dirty in the soil. It’s got a long blade that will last a lifetime with minimal sharpening, and short handle for easy maneverability. On top of that, there are measurements engraved on the blade for on-the-spot eyeballing when out in the garden.
Nejiri Gama Hand Weeder
- Strong but lightweight Japanese hand hoe
- Designed for weeding and slicing
- Wood handle with plastic hanging loop
- 5" steel blade. 11" long overall.
- Perennial seller
For every plant we grow, we destroy ten times as many weeds. As much as gardeners hate weeding, it’s an unfortunate fact of life in the garden…so why not pick up the best hand weeder for your garden lover than you can? The Nejiri Gama is exceptionally well made and can work with a wide range of weeds and situations, from small crevasses to serious hacking.
The Worm Factory 360
- The Worm Factory 360 has a standard 4-Tray size which is...
- The redesigned lid converts to a handy stand for trays while...
- Includes Manual and a Warranty included after product...
- The accessory kit provides basic tools to make managing the...
- Built in "worm tea" collector tray and spigot for easy...
I have personally used the Worm Factory 360 for over 4 years now and absolutely love it. There are a lot of worm composters out there, but this is my favorite for ease of use and the simplicity of the system.
If you’re looking for an interactive and extremely useful gift for a gardener, pick up a worm composter. It’ll provide them a way to be more sustainable while giving them amazing compost to grow even more delicious produce.
Uncle Jim’s Red Wiggler Worms
What good would a worm composter be without the main agents of production…compost worms! While this might seem like a random gift, one of our readers shared one of the best gardening gifts she ever got:
”I got a gift certificate for a load of worm castings along with a slew of red wigglers one year. A gift that keeps on giving.”
We’re a weird bunch – we’d love worms as a gift. So get ’em!
Agrobrite 2″ T5
- 3"H x 13.5"W x 23"L
- Includes 8' grounded power cord
- Includes 4 6400K T5 Tubes
- Up to 8,000 Lumens
- Powder coated, steel housing
It’s easy to get lost in the deep dark world of grow lights, but if you’re looking for a quick and dirty suggestion on a rock-solid indoor light for growing plants, go with the EnviroGro 2″ T5.
It’s perfect for starting seeds and maturing seedlings in the cold winter, or growing a small lettuce or salad garden. With four 2″ long T5 bulbs, there’s plenty of light for small scale greens growing.
If you’re curious as to why this is my top pick, read my review of T5 grow lights.
Seeds and Plants
- 3 kinds of compost: humus, vermicompost, and bokashi tea
- Handmade in Pennsylvania
- Easy-rolling, low dust formula
- Only natural ingredients
- Fun, easy activity
A great choice for the activist gardener, seed bombs are exactly what they sound like: little balls of life that can be thrown into empty lots, open patches of soil, or planted directly into the garden.
This seed bomb pack comes with three different types of seed bombs:
- Herbs (basil, dill, cilantro, chives, parsley)
- Edible flowers (nasturtium, calendula, marigold)
- Salad greens (chervil, red lettuce, cress, swiss chard, arugula)
If you’d rather make them yourself, see my tutorial on DIY seed bombs.
Baker Creek Home Gardener’s Collection
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is one of the best seed companies out there, offering some of the rarest heirloom varieties of plants in the USA. You can go absolutely crazy on their site, and I’ve definitely spent a good amount of cash, but for a simple gift you can’t beat their Home Gardener’s Collection.
It comes with a garden planner and 20 full packets of unique seeds, including melon, bean, beet, carrot, cucumber, eggplant, green pea, herbs, hot pepper, kale, lettuce, onion, sweet pepper, radish, salad blend, snow or snap pea, spinach, summer squash, tomatoes.
That’s more than enough to keep a garden lover busy for years to come!
Tickle Me Plant Greenhouse Kit
- SEE VIDEO ON THE LEFT of a LIVE TickleMe Plant then start to...
- GREAT HOLIDAY GIFT FOR ALL AGES - More fun then a Venus Fly...
- KIT INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO GROW THE HOUSEPLANT THAT...
- INCLUDES TEN FUN ACTIVITIES to do with your Pet TIckleMe...
- This will make you smile from ear to ear when you grow it...
An awesome gift for the gardener that seems to have everything…chances are they don’t have a plant that moves when you touch it!
The Tickle Me plant, or mimosa pudica, responds to human touch and grows quickly – often ready to “tickle” in about 1-2 months or so. With the greenhouse kit, you’ll be able to ensure the best environment for speedy growth and maximum ticklage!
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is one of the most-loved seed companies in the USA.
With the largest collection of rare and heirloom seeds from the 19th century, giving your garden loving friend or family member a giftcard here is like dropping a pound of ‘the white stuff’ in front of a Wall Street trader’s face – they won’t be able to resist.
If you want to see other non-GMO, heirloom, and organic seed companies, click here.
It’s hard to consolidate my favorite gardening books into just a few recommendations. I’ll include some of my absolute favorites on this page, but if you want to see my in-depth recommendations by category, take a look at some of these lists:
- 13+ Tiny House Books for Inspiration and Practical Advice
- 19+ Landscaping, Design, and Architecture Books
- 5+ Aquaponics Books to Get Started
- 5+ Hydroponics Books and Resources
Hydroponic Food Production: A Definitive Guidebook for the Advanced Home Gardener and the Commercial Hydroponic Grower
- CRC Press
- Howard M. Resh
- Publisher: CRC Press
- Edition no. 7 (08/09/2012)
- Hardcover: 560 pages
This is the perfect book for a hydroponic enthusiast who has progressed past the basics. Dr. Howard Resh is one of the original masters of hydroponics. He’s got such a great command of the discipline, and an even better ability to convey it to an absolute beginner.
This book gets into more of the nitty gritty details on how to really scale up an operation or optimize production.
Hobby Hydroponics, Second Edition
- Howard M. Resh
- Publisher: Routledge
- Edition no. 2 (01/18/2013)
- Paperback: 156 pages
Another book by Dr. Howard Resh, Hobby Hydroponics breaks down all of the typical systems you can start out with in hydroponics, addressing their pro’s and con’s. A much better choice than the book above for a hydroponic beginner.
Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together
- New Society Publishers
- Sylvia Bernstein
- Publisher: New Society Publishers
- Edition no. 0 (10/01/2011)
- Paperback: 257 pages
Aquaponics is the practice of growing fish with plants (you’ll recognize it from the Aquafarm above). This book will take a gardener from start to finish, from building a system to taking care of it to harvesting both fish and vegetables.
It teaches a lot more about creating a miniature ecosystem that self-sustains much more than a hydroponic system, and the book is beautifully laid out.
How-To Hydroponics, Fourth Edition
- Great gardening literature from Hydrofarm.
- Have Questions about growing?
- Call Flora Hydroponics today!
- Keith Roberto
- Publisher: Futuregarden
If you know someone interested in hydroponics, this step-by-step introductory guide not only introduces the basics of hydroponics itself, but how to build your own systems.
This book is really solid. It shows them exactly how to set up a few of the most popular systems and teaches them the nuts and bolts of setting up their first successful grow.
Have any gift ideas that we missed? Leave them in the comments below and we’ll add them!
The Green Thumbs Behind This Article:
Last update on 2019-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API